When you have a baby, a full-time job, a husband you’d like to spend at least a few minutes a week with, and a home you’d like to keep from becoming an environmental hazard, you don’t really have a ton of time to yourself. And that sucks, because time to yourself is awesome. It’s one of my favorite things, and it might just be what I miss most about my pre-baby life. While I can say without hesitation or fear of being a cornball that this is the best and happiest time of my life, I can also admit that I’d pretty much kill for an hour of uninterrupted time to myself. The uninterrupted part is key, because I consider feeling guilty an interruption (like when I’m enjoying a Target shopping spree and suddenly feel selfish for not being at home snuggling my baby). I sometimes fantasize about all things I would do with that hour. In no particular order, I’d:
- Watch Netflix (without hitting pause once!)
- Shower without turning off the water multiple times because I think I hear the baby
- Leave the house not looking disheveled
- Read more than 3 pages of a book at a time
- Get the massage I've been wanting (nay, NEEDING) since I was pregnant
- Get my nails done
- Shop for some clothes that actually fit my ridiculous breastfeeding boobs
- Spend quality time with my husband, maybe even talk about something other than the baby (challenging)
Every once in a while, the stars align and I actually do get a little time to myself. Whenever a luxurious hour stretches out before me, I run over this glorious list in my head. And you know what I end up doing?
Taking a nap.